Since the TED for Zac reduced my diet to almost nothing for over three years, as I add foods back in I’m learning about my own intolerances.
It’s clear at this point that I have Fructose Malabsorption and Salicylate Sensitivities that I never knew about until Zac’s FPIES forced me to undertake an elimination diet. I suspect I have MCAD and will be seeing a specialist in 2016 to verify or disprove that theory.
As I discover problem foods, I’ll add them here with a note about why I think it’s a problem. This could be helpful for others discovering food intolerances, plus it helps me keep track.
Some of these foods I may continue to eat in small doses; if the only symptom it gives me is mild (a little bit of gas, for example), I’ll limit my consumption and eat on days when I won’t be leaving the house!
Others I will not eat at all. If it gives me a headache, stomach cramps, room-clearing gas, brain fog, and mood swings, it’s just not worth it.
Problem Fructose Foods
- Onion (gas)
- Garlic (gas, stomach upset)
- Cantaloupe (brain fog, headache, stomach cramps, mood swings)
- Cooked bananas (brain fog, headache, stomach cramps, mood swings)
- Raw bananas (gas) – still eat these
Problem Salicylate Foods
- Sweet potato (headache, stomach cramps)
- Baby Spinach leaves (headache from hell, thought I was going to die, total body pain)
- Romaine Lettuce (nausea)
Foods to Re-Trial
- Green bell peppers
- Red bell peppers
- Sweet peas
- Cocoa powder
- Grass-fed beef
- Russet Potatos
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Chicken Eggs (from the chickens below)
- Goat Milk
- Cauliflower (suspect at this point)
- Chicken (free-range, small non-corn, non-soy feed when needed)
- Sweet Potato (suspect at this point)
- Baking Soda